When should you inspect ladders?
• Inspect new ladders promptly upon receipt.
• Inspect ladders before each use.
• Check the condition of ladders that have been dropped or have fallen before using them again.
What should you look for when inspecting any ladder?
• missing or loose steps or rungs (they are loose if you can move them by hand)
• damaged or worn non-slip feet
• loose nails, screws, bolts or nuts
• loose or faulty spreaders, locks, and other metal parts in poor repair
• rot, decay or warped rails in wooden ladders
• cracks and exposed fibreglass in fibreglass ladders
• cracked, split, worn or broken rails, braces, steps or rungs
• sharp edges on rails and rungs
• rough or splintered surfaces
• corrosion, rust, oxidization and excessive wear, especially on treads
• Twisted or distorted rails. Check ladders for distortion by sighting along the rails. Using a twisted or bowed ladder is hazardous.
• missing identification labels
What other things should I look for when inspecting stepladders?
• loose or bent hinges and hinge spreaders
• broken stop on a hinge spreader
What should you look for when inspecting extension ladders?
• loose, broken or missing extension locks
• defective locks that do not seat properly when ladder is extended
• sufficient lubrication of working parts
• defective cords, chains and ropes
• missing or defective pads or sleeves
What should you do after inspecting any ladder?
• Tag any defective ladders and take them out of service.
• Clean fibreglass ladders every three months. Spray lightly with a clear lacquer or paste wax.
• Protect wooden ladders with a clear sealer or wood preservative.
• Replace worn or frayed ropes on extension ladders.
• Lubricate pulleys on extension ladders regularly.
What are some things you should not do after inspecting ladders?
• Do not make temporary or makeshift repairs.
• Do not try to straighten or use bent or bowed ladders.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING INSPECTION OF LADDERS BY OUR FULLY QUALIFIED ENGINEERS.
Inspect 2 Protect
Dumfries and Galloway
Mobile: 077954 80890
08:00 - 18:00
Sat, Sun :
09:00 - 16:00
We're looking forward to hearing from you!